Thursday, February 22, 2007

So I completed the background information for the OO vs Structured Analysis and delivered it last night to the study group. We did a lot of talking about nothing. It wasn`t very focused after my initial presentation. I did come to the conclusion that they interpreted the City of Plaistow OO vs Structured question the same as I did. No mater what has been written by Ed Yourdon about how Structured Analysis can handle complex systems the question is geared towards answering part C as if it came from Grady Booch. The consensous is that the answer based on complexity is the correct one and choosing OO analysis is the defensible position. Subjective, subjective, subjective, tests of this caliber should not be subjective but this one is. I kind of think that it is unavoidable because of the way history is. This is really a history test. I am torn because I do so much better when things are not subjective. Computer science is may game because it is precise...except for maybe requirements by some MBA type. ha ha. At any rate I have completed the particulars for the question in relationship to Structured analysis notation. I did the flow diagram, data dictionary, and structured English needed to fulfill part A. I have started on part B, the OO part. I have completed the use cases and domain model. I am now moving on to the interaction diagrams and defining class diagrams. This will complete part B. Part C I am going to write a canned answer taken directly from Object-Oriented Analysis with Applications by Grady Booch. He talks about complexity for the whole first chapter in pertaining to OO analysis and design.

Canned answers are not always the best solution. I tend to thrash on a subject that is up for debate. I remove that risk in a test by doing canned answers. They have to be somewhat elaborate so that I don`t get accused of memorizing. This kind of accusation is like talking to a man with a full head of hair and accusing him of baldness somewhere along the continuum of plucking the hairs out one by one. At what point is your accusation true? As I add information to a canned answer when does it stop being memorization. Isn`t this a function of the time limit on the test and the knowledge you can tuck away...whoops isn`t that memorization. Slippery slop if they try to get you on the memorization thing. See what I mean. I hate that reason for failure...unfair.