Saturday, February 10, 2007

I am still working on OCL. I have one more section to go before looking at how diagrams are augmented by OCL. That section is about taking into account inheritance. My notes are very thick. Review of this data will be imperative. It was good that I did this. I feel as if it is still a bit trivial. As the author of "UML for dummies" said, "There is not much money in OCL." He was referring to doing a book on the subject. Which brings me to my PhD research point of the day.

I read about how the PEAR program at Princeton University is closing. This was a program to study ESP. One of the points that the head there said was how can you have a peer review if you have no peers. I have heard PhD`s say that your work is worthwhile and "good" if your peers think that it is so. Even if the work by PEAR showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that ESP was real and a factor in the world but, nobody reviewed it that way would it be "good" or worthwhile. The whole tree falls in a forest thing... I think that I really want to quantify it differently. If my work helps even one person I believe that it is worthwhile. Peer review will never get you acceptance. I find this aspect of a PhD very difficult being at odds with my own values. I still believe in the other criteria of new, never before done, incrementally above the rest. These are good criteria. The criteria of peer review I find unjustifiable. There should be qualities of your work that "are" detectable and that are outside of the realm of peer. It really should be, "Is your work recognizable as beyond the rest by the common man." Questions do arise like, "Does the common man have the intelligence to understand all that would be a PhD." I think that he does. I think that is why in the end I do not feel that the PhD will set me apart from the rest of the population in intelligence or otherwise. Sounds pretty much like a Christian ideal. So "It is" between you and God and people are his hands and feet. A PhD is patent, a PhD is kind, he does not envy, he does not boast, he is not proud. A PhD is not self-seeking, he is not easily angered. He keeps no records of wrongs. A PhD does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. A PhD always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preservers. A PhD never fails. But where there are false predictions, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we predict in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child. I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I become a PhD, I will have put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain, faith, hope and the PhD. The PhD is love....but you need to be able to demonstrate that you helped someone. But, the greatest of these is love.