Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The PLuS program director must have been unsuccessful in getting a different method for me to review my past exams. I contacted him on Friday about progress. He responded yesterday that I should confirm that I have made an appointment with my adviser to see the exams. We must have had a miscommunication. I made the request to my adviser yesterday. After 4 emails my adviser agreed to see me on the 20th. He also left open the 29th. He said I would have to request the time ahead of time so I responded yesterday with an affirmative. I copied the PLuS program director on every message. My adviser responded each time without the copy list. It really should not be this difficult. The coordination between departments is bad. I am sure that the PLuS program director has long since notified the Advising director but somehow the advising director never notified my adviser. It was evident in my advisers email that nobody knows who is in charge. He is so difficult to work with. This will be an uphill battle, but I knew that. I am still reviewing Zed. I reviewed the chapters at the beginning of the book on set theory. It always helps me to review that stuff. You know classical logic vs. formal logic stuff. I have also started reviewing UML. I did a brief overview of class diagrams and looked again at OCL. UML books all suck. This kind of stuff is always done with a tool. Syntax is so difficult to be precise. Think about it. If complexity in software engineering is a driver in just about everything we do why aren't tools pervasive. Diagrams are for communication and internal understanding. Building architects use CAD tools they don't use pencil and paper any more. Storage and retrieval are important to being able to organize the complexity. To skip over to math...It was said that if Archimedes had had Gausses notation he would have achieved better mathematics. At the same time it was said that Einstein developed his own mathematical notation for the Theory of Relativity. The best measure of the usefulness of a notation is its use. I have worked on large systems and small intricate ones. UML has never been the language of choice to meet the needs of communications or understanding. It doesn't aid in design. Reverse engineering of a system into diagrams does help with understanding systems already built. Software engineers don't use tools for storing designs. I struggle to understand the analogies used for why UML is good in the real world. At any rate I am reviewing it.