Friday, March 09, 2007

It was a little upsetting to learn this week that I will not be dealing with the director for the PLuS program at DePaul leading up to my test. I learned this fact from the director of graduate advisement and not from the PLuS program itself. The director of advisement informed me that the PLuS program director would be gone for a while and that I should get in touch with this new woman. I really had no introduction to her. For me I have learned to tolerate these kinds of changes but for others with my learning disability it would be devastating. I see change as reason to do some thrash thinking about something. It is a kind of problem that needs attention and I cannot take care of anything else until this is accomplished. What I mean by tolerate this kind of thing is I live with a feeling of uncertainty all the time. It is similar to paranoia except the problems are closing in on you and not the people. It was compounded by a last minute business trip to Seattle, Wa. I was ask to go into the Cingular/At&t labs and work on a new technology. It is really new. It was implied that there is no one else doing this. I will be the first. I have a hardware guy going with me. I leave on Monday and return on Friday. The problem is that I setup to talk with the PLuS program surrogate next week. It turns out from my own digging that she is the assistant director of the PLuS program. So a week of disrupted study, with a week of uncertainty about my accommodations for the test, mixed with a week of new excitement in my job. Gosh could you give me any more to thrash about. Concentration is difficult. It is more difficult with so many things to task switch over. Thrash, thrash, thrash,...Thrash, Thrash. Here we go. I have to give some of it over to God to worry about. One more thing doesn`t daylight savings time mean that my 5am on Monday will actually be 4am when the cab picks me up. I will have to take time out from Lucent lab today and call the PLuS program. Almost an impossible feat. Next I will take some of my books and 2 laptops next week to Cingular. One laptop for development and one laptop for study at the hotel. I have most of what I need on my personal laptop. I won`t be able to take very many of my books with me....bummer. We`ll just have to deal with the uncertainty associated with a week away from home. My wife is getting better at taking care of things here with my son and the house. We are expecting a baby in August and she does have a lot to do with appointments and such in addition to our busyness with my son. I wonder if I have left any of my concerns out. To stop and be able to write them down helps. Right now my brain is like a rapidly skipping DVD. I hear and see little bits of possible life scenarios over the next week. Good little daydreams and bad ones accompany points I know that I will have to deal with. Phone calls, cab rides, doctor appointments I will miss, packing, studying...It all comes out in little 1 second clips with sound as I rush over them trying to plan, solve, prepare what ever the case may be. I get really tired. It is amazing I have learned to sleep with so much happening. My blog may be interrupted next week. This may be my last post for several days.