Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Still looking through the Software Testing Section of the reading list and the associated sections of the pre-tests. I still have not found parts of the questions in readily available literature. The literature listed in the reading list does not address these terms either. I have read the papers listed and looked at the glossary of the books mentioned. I emailed the authors of the pieces of literature to make sure that I am not missing something. I would suspect that context does not necessarily clue you in to the meaning of the terms. See my rant on the last post. It was easy to find a historical document describing "cyclomatic complexity" at the SEI from the 70`s even though the term was misspelled in the question on the sample test. Sample tests are actually past tests given. I wonder if this misspelling was on those tests also. Because of my learning disability and my difficulty in reading I don`t often see misspellings. Not an issue for me...maybe for someone else. The problem for me is when I read something that is not there. So I look at this catch as a metric of how meticulous I am being about these documents. I still cannot find "basis paths", "Equivalence Term Testing" (not equivalence partitioning), or "Random Testing". These are terms that I have an intuitive notion about but don`t have a concrete place to look. This makes me very uneasy. If the test writers are not going to use common terms they could come up with anything on the test. If these are historical and have some significance to the university I sure cannot find them. I did find Equivalence partitioning (not the one I want "Equivalence Term Testing") and Mutation Analysis in wikipedia. I wish I had a more concrete source. Wikipedia has some very good documentation but they are still not considered authoritative. Why are these terms not in the literature reading list?