Thursday, May 24, 2007

Study has been impossible to do for these last couple of weeks as you know from my previous posts. I still intend to put up the questions from the test on my website. I have notes on them and plan to do that. The problem is that my work station has been disrupted at home. The room that was my work space is now to be by sons room. We have cleared it out an are preparing for new carpet. I have to fix some floor squeaks etc before that carpet gets put in. Since next week I will be away on business it looks like this month will be a wash. I am not going to get anything done. The website and my reading on `R` and the planning for my dissertation will have to go on hold. It is summer so breaks are kind of expected. I still get upset at the impact to my routine. There are other things that just have to get done in my life I guess.

Work is going really well. The patent needed my signature yesterday to move ahead. This is the last stage. The lawyers just needed our signatures as inventors to put the final touches on this. I have been involved with patents in the past but the patent search always showed prior art. This is the first one that will actually go all the way through and be recorded. I am kind of excited to be on the inventors list.

The API for the government is also going well. I started the domain model yesterday showing the division of responsibilities. I needed to show the deferred decision line since the firmware development will not be done by our company but will be done by the hardware manufacturer. It seems kind of funny that the term `deferred decision` is still popping up after all these years since my work at IBM. The framework development experience then is so helpful now. This is stuff you don`t get in school. The black art of framework development. This will just be an API from our point of view as application developers but I still have to publish the whole framework. It all depends on your point of view. Framework design is kind of like visually represented as a sort of Venn Diagram where the work that is created by the applications developer is put in the middle surrounded on all sides by the framework and the framework calls into the application developer provided code. From the point of view of the application developer it may still be seen as an API or class library. The analogous diagram would be a layered diagram not a Venn Diagram of sorts. When I talked about deferred decision that is usually thought of in the context of layers and is very much more complicated when talking about things from the context of a framework. What was a line becomes a circle. The question is `At what level do you make the decision to defer the implementation to your users?` So I make this kind of decision several times during the day shifting classes or interfaces over this boundary of concern. Strictly speaking frameworks call into the code provided by the application developer and class libraries are used in the opposite manner where the application developer calls down into the library. Just looking at the implementation of Java will show you that both characteristics exist in different parts of the SDK. The important part of the domain model diagram needs to show what they need to implement and what I as an application developer need to implement. I have done that. The design document will help in our effort to work with the hardware manufacturer.

Well I don`t expect to have a post for a while. I will be gone on business for some time and will have to be working on getting ready for our new edition. I expect to restart and continue my school work in a few weeks.